Friday, August 15, 2008

Drink Locally

We are having a heat wave in Portland. Yesterday evening I was returning from an epic bike ride (to Fred Meyer) and stopped at a new place in my neighborhood, this funky little local business I'd never seen before. It seemed to be family-owned, like the kids running the counter could afford to be idealistic and have less-than-professional service because Mom and Dad were bankrolling it. It was a tiny place with a hand-lettered sign, with just a walk-up window and not even any patio seating. I enjoyed a cooling, non-alcoholic citrus infusion, served up. It was very refreshing in the heat but I was surprised that a quaint little neighborhood cafe in Hosford-Abernethy would use paper cups. Still, the portion sizes were generous, and at 50 cents a pop, a tremendous bargain.

No comments: