Tuesday, September 23, 2008

California

I just returned from a jaunt to the SF Bay Area. What a lovely place. Epicurean highlights of the trip included Tacubaya and Cantina.

Tacubaya is a Mexican restaurant on 4th Street in Berkeley that serves pretty standard stuff - enchiladas, tostadas, tortas - but the quality and freshness of the ingredients is exceptional, so even a basic dish can be extraordinary. I had this corn, black bean and zucchini tostada that kind of blew my mind. I don't even like tostadas.

Cantina is Duggan McDonnell's downtown San Francisco bar that specializes in complicated culinary cocktails. I had a fantastic Carmen Amaya, which involves rye, Cointreau and amontillado sherry. I love drinking amontillado sherry, and its complexity and tartness make it a great cocktail ingredient too.

Cantina also happens to be a block or two from the St. Francis Hotel, always good for a nauseating glass elevator ride or two.

No comments: