Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chicken Stew!

Betty Crocker, patron saint of crockpots
I cooked something tonight I've always wanted to, and it was awesome! I made creamy chicken stew from this Betty Crocker recipe. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. Saucy and herby with hella tender chicken and creamy Yukon gold potato chunks. I used fresh rosemary from some random neighbor (if it's growing over the sidewalk it's public domain, right?), which convinced me to start using fresh herbs for everything I can, even though it is inconvenient and expensive, because it is SO worth it. Such fantastic flavor.

I'm always intimidated by anything that involves thickening sauce, but it was surprisingly easy. For this recipe you make a paste with flour and cream, then mix it with the liquid from the stew, and it cooks and thickens up and then you pour it oozingly all over the meat and veggies. I can't wait to take this to work with me tomorrow for lunch! Wooo!

No comments: