Friday, August 29, 2008

Minty Fresh

I love this time of year. The first hints at the change of season are so refreshing and exciting, and the magazines and shop windows are full of cute scarves and boots, but it isn't actually cold and miserable yet. Maybe it's the season but I have been a teeny bit obsessed with whiskey lately, and whiskey cocktails. There are some great ones on the menu at 50 Plates, and at other, lesser bars where cocktails tend to look better on the menu than they taste in the glass, bourbon and cola has become my can't-fuck-it-up standby.

After a decadent Tuesday night of cocktails at Mint/820 this week, I have a new favorite to add to my whiskey obsession collection: their Nutty Manhattan. It's just Jim Beam (!) and nocello, shaken and served with a gooey cherry, and the simple combination is perfect, showcasing each spirit's flavors and achieving just the right degree of sweetness. I love Mint because it's fancy and delicious yet the weird location makes it relatively free of annoying people. Also, going to a bar that isn't one of my usual haunts was tremendously fun.

1 comment:

Lance J. Mayhew said...

Hey, even 50 does a can't fuck it up smoked Jack and Coke.